Monday, June 8, 2009

Manhattan's New Public Garden - The High Line

Salmaan Khan Photo: The High Line
















My reservations for New York were put in place in time for the announced May opening of the 
elevated gardens of The High Line,
New York City's stunning new public garden.
Photos: Alice Joyce
To my dismay, the opening dated was changed to June 9th, and I was unable to ascend
Instead, I walked the length of the first section (there will be more development in the years to come) from the Gansevoort Street entrance through the Meat Packing District to 20th Street in Chelsea, where I was staying.
Peering upwards with my camera, I tried avoiding the onslaught of traffic in my  attempt to vicariously experience a bit of the gardens from beneath the expanse.

The Standard Hotel is an admirable architectural achievement. Built to straddle the old railroad tracks, the hip new lodgings look down upon areas richly planted with a design by James Corner Field Operations, in consultation with Dutch designer Piet Oudolf .  

The  Standard's web site currently has a live web cam with images updated every 15 minutes, & 360 degree views:  www.standardhotels.com/new-york-city/
As I write this,  it's media preview day, before officially opening tomorrow.
The web cam image shows people strolling along the green sward: perennials and grasses commingling with shrubs and trees; an eye-popping image of a garden walkway slicing through a high-rise building. 

 Another trip to New York soon? You bet! This is a garden I must experience first-hand.
More on The High Line at Bay Area Tendrils  'Garden Travel Buzz'
Add to Technorati Favorites

6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous reinvention of a space. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I jot this the photo of the hotel shows the High Line going through the base like a streak of lights in the darkness. Striking, but I'm sure the garden would be even better to experience. I'm sorry you missed seeing it properly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms S, it is a space to love! The High Line's inventive beauty and inviting airy walkways with arresting views have rightfully brought to life an entire neighborhood in New York City.
    James, the Standard was very savvy in setting up the live feed. It gives the world a connection with a place that throngs will want to visit (oh yes, perhaps the hotel too!!!) And New Yorkers are truly blessed to have this new park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manhattan stole this idea from LA, which stole it from Seattle - but I'm sure they'll never admit it. A great idea to steal, and a great way to get green space in the center of a city, and I agree, a great way to repurpose the railroad (was it the El? looks like maybe regular train tracks, but I'm only familiar with the older El lines).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings PB! Don't we all lift inspiration and ideas... In this case, I think NYC modeled the project after Paris' promenade plantee in the 12th arrondissement -also on an abandoned railway line. It's another garden on my list. For reasons unknown I've trekked all over Paris to see gardens, but this one got away!
    I've been told by a savvy horticulturist that the High Line trumps the effort in Paris, with its diversity of plantings and design. Chicago has plans, too... It's a movement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe Seattle stole it from Paris;-) I remember taking a walk along an old converted railway line that had been converted into a beautiful garden - and well used to boot. Will you be going back to take some pictures?

    ReplyDelete