Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Yes, please! Eco-Lawn - Alternative to Thirsty Grasses

A perfect composition...
Detail of Miriam's eye-catching display at the San Francisco Flower & Garden Show - 2010. Once established, the Eco-Lawn mix of fine fescue grasses provides a drought-tolerant alternative to thirsty turf. One of many virtual friends I met in 'real life' at this year's San Francisco Flower & Garden Show, Miriam Goldberger impressed me with her sassy attitude, garden smarts, and love of wildflowers!
Miriam and husband Paul manage Wildflower Farm & Eco-Lawn from their home base in Southern Ontario.

8 comments:

  1. I wish that fescue did well here in florida! I would love to grow the blue kind but i think it gets too hot/humid in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue glass. I have been giving it some thought for my own garden but haven't figure out how I want to use it yet. I do have the fescue and it's been a wonderful reliable plant. It also has been spreading itself around which works just fine for me. You wouldn't think someone living in Western Washington would need drought tolerant plants but I do and these are a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm - There are actually fine fescues (which is what Eco-Lawn is comprised of) that grow successfully in Florida. Happy to discuss the details with you to see if this would work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RG meet MG... a dialogue about fescues for Florida, perhaps!

    LeSan,
    I love recycled colored glass as a garden element! I have a large tray filled with glass bits and it reflects the sunlight. Very simple, but effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun post, but I like the comment about using colored glass as a garden element even better, Reminded me that a friend of mine used broken windshield glass she found after an accident in her garden. It doesn't cut, and has an interesting color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is an easy care lawn! I love the colored glass and the fescue. I think colored glass may be the next big thing in garden design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TM
    Broken windshield glass... now that's creative!

    Deb
    You just may be right... although colored glass is awfully popular already in this area. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if this is similar to No-Mow Fescue... but that's a great alternative, too. Very low water and no mowing.

    ReplyDelete