Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Floral "Berry Basket" ... Zinnias To Die For!


It's the 6th of July and I'm in a state of bliss, filling vases with the colorfully vibrant blooms of
Zinnia 'Berry Basket'

T., my personal veggie gardener, has been kind enough to make room in his allotment for these long-stemmed cutting flowers (another trial packet sent by Renee's Garden Seeds). Must say, I've been impressed by the incredible length of the stems, as with Cosmos 'Rose Bon Bon.'

As for the variety name for these Zinnias, it couldn't not be more spot-on: Luscious colors that conjure up a basket of succulent berries, though I'm not certain what the pink represents.

What petal pink berries do you grow?

10 comments:

  1. Alice, those zinnias are just gorgeous, I think I will be adding them to my cutting garden next year.
    My favourite pink this year is Dicentra 'Goldheart', love the contrast of the golden foliage against the hot pink flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The zinnias are great. Just another example of why we will add cutting flowers to the vegetable garden. Of course, the assumption is that the vegetable garden is ever finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zinnias never look that colorful and lush here in my garden, wish they did ! take care, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my they are stunning - must try to get some like that for next year's flower border. A little jealous, but thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello all,
    I'm most impressed with the health and vigor of the plants, because zinnias so often develop mildew.

    The beauty of the flowers is equaled by the green of the leaves. Long stems, vibrant color & mildew resistant - who could ask for anything more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a sort of cultivated cranberry that is almost pink. Britta

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds pretty perfect to me. I love the dark one near the bottom of the arrangement, but they're really a nice bunch of berries together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A Floral "Berry Basket" ... There is a sort of cultivated cranberry that is almost pink. Britta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy - I see you are a blogspot blogger. How did you get the blotanical button embedded in you blog? I get errors. Any advice is welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Zinnias are amazing. They look edible and I hope to grow some next season. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete