Thursday, January 6, 2011

Social Media .. Your Cup of Tea?


In a matter of days, Bay Area Tendrils will celebrate its 2 year blogiversary!


Difficult to imagine my life without the friendships I've formed since joining Blotanical - where all the virtual activity seemed to take root and thrive.

My days are now enlivened on a regular basis by twitter -- those short tweets sent out into the world as I message with garden tweeples and thousands of individuals spanning the realms of wine and travel, art, architecture and design, media types and foodies! It's networking that fosters fantastic connections.

FaceBook has morphed into a expansive universe: a world existing in cyberspace yet expanding into the real world where I find myself meeting for coffee with FB 'friends' -- the site's 'friending' aspect had resulted in real life dates with 'friends' in other cities and even on foreign soil!

Facebook is turning out to be an important 'place' to communicate with blogging buddies, professional collegaues, and family.

I've created a special page for my new site .. Alice's Garden Travel Buzz on FaceBook .. and if you'd like to see what happens there, please take a moment to click on the link and check it out. If you're active on FB, as so many bloggers seem to be these days, I'd be delighted if you decided to 'like' it!

I'd love to read your comments and thoughts on the concept of Social Media, and what you think will come next! Please add your 'twitter handle' to your comment in case I'm not already following you there.
And be sure to leave your FaceBook identity with a link to your page, be it a personal page or one for your blog or web site. I'll be reading your posts on Blotanical, as always, but I'm looking to connect regularly on twitter and on Facebook, too!
How about you?

18 comments:

  1. I must admit that I have never even looked at Facebook. I did once asked someone to explain what it was all about to me, but it sounded a bit odd when they described it. As for Twitter, again I haven't spent any time looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been following off and on lately. Sorry I haven't commented. I see your FB posts, easy to read there. I don't Tweet, barely enough time to do the blogging writing and reading. Happy Anniversary to you Alice...I let my second one slip by without a thought. That is how of a rhythm I am with this. Here's to many more anniversaries!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really got into FB or twitter. It is more a time issue than anything else. Also a relative used my email address and set up an account for herself. All her messages came to my inbox and multitudes of friend requests. I finally figured out how to delete the account after a month of this annoying aggravation. I would love to set up a FB account for my blog, but am not sure how, under the business tab, maybe? Now it is listed under my name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging and keeping up with Blotanical is overwhelming even in my nursery's off season. I can't imagine adding Facebook and Twitter. However, I am going to add a Facebook page for my nursery as soon as I get to it......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love social media. I was a little reticent about it at first, concerned that it might just waste time when I could be doing my creative work. However, I find it gives rise to more creative work - there is a real buzz from connecting with interesting folk from all over the world, which enhances life and one's creative spark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blogoversery to you. I understand FB and twitter, actually had a FB account for a minute. I just do not have the time for either. Happy New Year. jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the process of setting up a PlantPostings Facebook account. And you can find me on Twitter at @plantpostings. Not sure I understand Twitter yet, though. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh GOODY!!! I'm on twitter and Facebook, I shall rush now and befriend you :) I have a page for my photography too so if you see Cherry Blossom Tattoo pop up (it's only me) hugs!!!!
    Twitter name - chrryblossomta2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alice, quite enjoy twitter which does not take so much time...still trying to work out facebook....but i do enjoy blotanical and the opportunity to write and be read by others which is always a joy...cheers and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations alice and i do enjoy seeing your postings too on facebook...wow two years, i'll have to review some of your highlights :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogoversary dear Alice. I enjoy following you on FB and twitter, both. I don't tweet much have ended up having many positive networking experiences through FB. For me, the time-suck has been Blotanical...although I can't imagine starting out without it! I see so many of our blogging buds at FB and of course, directly on their own blogs. I just had my 3rd blogoversary...but I should have clarified in my post that it was only my 2nd year 'Blotanicaling'!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Blogiversary! I get social media but am not too involved. I have just enough spare time to blog and at this point, can just manage to stay involved with my favorite blogs. There is so much out there though and I do think it's a really exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Blogoversary Alice, may you have much more fun and years of success. I will look at your FB link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Alice, Wishing you a Happy Blogoversery! My 'second' is coming up soon, too. I have a FB page but haven't added my blog as I spend little time there. I do spend too much time on Blotanical (although not as much as some), but it has really expanded my garden friendships. I try hard to keep a balance between the virtual world and the real world. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2011! P x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alice, Congratulations! Has it been 2 years already? Please keep blogging, I can't even keep up with my favorite blogs and have so far stayed away from both Facebook and Twitter. Work does tend to get in the way...

    Thanks so much for your wonderful blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Connecting with each and every one of you enhances my days.

    Thank you for visiting, commenting, and for adding your unique voices to the virtual universe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Social media can be so tricky. I am still struggling to get the hangs of it. I do prefer twitter better than face book for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fer,
    I really enjoy twitter, too. However, my involvement with Facebook is growing and it seems to be becoming more important.

    ReplyDelete