Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Barcelona's Secret Garden, The Horta - Part 2


Barcelona
The Horta Gardens 
The compelling art and architecture of Antoni Gaudi draws flocks of admirers to Barcelona, and Bay Area Tendrils will be returning to Parc Guell, one of Gaudi's beloved works.

For now, the romantic confines of Parc del Laberint d'Horta take precedence; a property owned by the city.
Joan Antoni Desvalls i d'Ardena conceived the plan of the Horta's harmonious landscape in 1791, when the area was mainly pastoral countryside. 
Acres of dense greenery foster a reflective quietude, while the imagination is easily swept away by the symbolism of statuary, and the classical counterpoint of the Italianate buildings & ornamental water features.
Eros arises center stage within the maze, while two temples arranged symmetrically - dedicated to Ariadne and Danae - overlook the labyrinth's delightful pathways.

Read more ... Part III

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    Not a lot of pictures today like usual.
    I wonder if I could find my way out of that maze - I have no compass. *Grin* I have a hard time finding my way out of the yard. Well, I guess I'm not quite that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The maze looks and sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A side of Barcelona (non-Gaudi) that we don't all see. Love Parc Guell but this place looks fun too, if more restrained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems European gardens are the most extravagant affairs. I suppose with a posse of garden workers and a wallet-ful of money any of us could do it. But nothing beats the antiquity of these grand works of art. Nice work Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful garden your pictures are worth a thousand words! :)NG

    ReplyDelete