Monday, August 17, 2009

Tea & Turnip Cakes at Portland Classical Chinese Garden


Portland Classical Chinese Garden 
Part 1
A brief introduction to the Portland Chinese Garden:
A tranquil oasis that will be expanded upon in future posts.
The delicious selection pictured: Organic White Dragon Tea and Turnip Cakes - Lo Bo Gao - I arrived early in the morning, before the garden opened for the day. After strolling for an hour or so with Glin Varco, the garden's horticultural manager, I took time out for a break before continuing along on my own.





A glimpse of the patio, and small table and chairs outside the Teahouse - operated by the Tao of Tea. The teahouse is the Tower of Cosmic Reflections. took a seat in the shade, near the Teahouse doors, where Belamcanda chinensis nodded in the breeze, over my shoulder. Could anything possibly improve upon the beauty of the serene setting on a perfect summer day... I wondered, or such a delightful interlude....



A glimpse of the patio, and small table and chairs outside the Teahouse - operated by the Tao of Tea. The teahouse is the Tower of Cosmic Reflections. I took a seat in the shade, near the Teahouse doors, where Belamcanda chinensis nodded in the breeze, over my shoulder. Could anything possibly improve upon the beauty of the serene setting on a perfect summer day... I wondered, or such a delightful interlude....partaking in refreshingly fragrant tea complemented by savory turnip cakes?

My timing could not have been better, after all. Along with the tea service, The Melody of the Purple Bamboo began to fill the air; traditional Chinese music played by a musician seated in the Teahouse.

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh, I went there this winter and never put up a post, felt like I wouldn't do it justice. Well, it was early spring. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of what you saw and learned. We walked through the teahouse but it didn't seem like the place to stay with a rambunctious 5 yr. old. Too many breakables. I hope to go back sometime with a bit more time to stroll and sip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    In case it's not evident, I was in a totally blissed-out state. It will be difficult to do this garden justice, but I'll make an attempt. I took soooo many photographs!
    Stopping for tea added to the experience... maybe you can go with a gal pal next time? Or alone. I left Tom behind so I could wander quietly and take as long as I wanted to soak in the surroundings.
    Thanks for stopping by, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very lucky to attend a private APLD party there last month. It was incredible. The next day, those who created this amazing garden spoke about the process--that made it even more special. Thanks for sharing your experience--you are right, it's hard to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must visit this garden. I love the carved details on the building and the glorious plants. Turnip cakes do not sound particularly appetizing though. Kind of you to include a enticing photo! Where is the chocolate cake?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful serene place to visit. Your post inspires anyone visiting the area to be sure to make this garden at the top of their 'to do' list', and having tea would be an essential part of the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan,
    I followed your 'tweets' and pics that you posted during the APLD party! And I imagined what a wonderful time you were having at the garden 'after hours.'
    Such a special setting in every way, yet I do look forward to writing more about it. I've been following the project for my guidebooks since before they broke ground, so I feel a deep connection.

    RS,
    The teahouse turnip cakes are to die for! LOL - Savory, of course, not sweet.
    (Should you put a slice of chocolate cake in front of me, however, I will devour it!) That's 2 exclamation marks... my quota? Stay tuned, I have a trove of photographs to share, showing the design details & architecture.

    Carol,
    Going early in the day when it is not crowded is a good idea, but it's possible to appreciate the incredible beauty at any time if one centers oneself on the experience.
    It would be a tragedy to go to Portland and miss out on a visit to this remarkable garden. I do hope you have the opportunity one day to stroll here.

    ReplyDelete