Thursday, January 21, 2016

Revisiting the Blue Poppy

Among the most magical of plants,
the Himalayan Blue Poppy (Meconopsis) is quite the mythic character within our community of avid gardeners.
At one time it could be found growing to perfection in the Pacific Northwest
at the Berry Botanic Garden, which sadly now, has shuttered its gates.

It was in this setting of rare flora that I first came upon a vigorous stand of blue poppies
intermingled with blooms of pink, peach, and red!
An unforgettable sight.

Be that as it may, I'm currently enjoying a very wet San Francisco Bay Area winter,
where Napa & Sonoma Wine Country always beckons.
Especially when the sun decides to peep through the clouds.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back here, Alice! Napa and Sonoma ... they beckon me, too -- if only I didn't live so far away. Sad about the botanic garden. That must have been quite a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried several times to start this poppy from seed when I was in Chicago... As I'm still in my blue period, I'm going to try again--hopefully I'll have better luck now that I've moved to Florida! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete